Podcast 049: A Few Herbs On Our Shelf
This week we do a lightning round of “minigraphs” on some of our favorite herbs. We started by taking a look at what we’ve got on our herb shelf (okay . . . *shelves*) in the kitchen right now, and selecting a few semi-randomly until our 45 minute timer went off.
We covered reishi, catnip, mugwort, heather, st john’s wort, and za’atar (which is a spice blend, but totally still counts – right?). So give it a listen and meet some of our best friends!
Mentioned in this podcast:
- Our Wedding Tattoo Herbs – including elder, betony, tulsi, bladderwrack (seaweed), pine, yarrow, sage, and marshmallow.
- Quintessential Arts – purveyor of fantastic plant ally jewelry
- Behave, by Robert Sapolsky – Katja’s current book / research fascination
- Canaan Palestine – our favorite source for za’atar (when we’re not mixing our own)
And here’s everything else in the way of loose dry herbs on our shelf right now:
- orange peel
- uva ursi
- ground ivy
- thyme & monarda
- … plus, cooking spices – most importantly: cumin, garlic, caraway, berbere, cayenne, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, fresh-ground black pepper, vanilla, and fresh basil
We’ll talk about them in a future podcast, so make sure to subscribe!
If you like our podcast, you might like learning from us in a more intentional way – like with our Herbalism 101 program! It’s a great way to start incorporating herbs into your daily life, to keep you and your loved ones healthy and resilient all year round!
Our theme music is “Wings” by Nicolai Heidlas.
Join our newsletter for more herby goodness
Get CommonWealth newsletter delivered right to your inbox. You'll be first to hear about free mini-courses, podcast episodes, and other goodies about holistic herbalism.